Thursday, April 16, 2020

The next level of EDC - owning a firearm!

As I get deeper into the EDC lifestyle, I get to acquire the tastes and preferences of the community.  And the inevitable has come - I am now looking to own a live firearm!

The basic question is, what do you need the gun for?  The basic answer - for home defense.  The next answer is to discover its world!  We'll get to this some other time.  For now, I'm doing my work in finding gun ownership's pros and cons. And as it is with how I go about the things that interest me, I do my research.  And so far here's what I got as I go through the License To Own and Possess Firearm or the LTOPF: 
  1. There is an online site by the Philippine National Police Firearms and Explosive Office Office (PNP-FEO) where you can send requirements for online assessment.  This lessens the hassle of going back and forth to FEO because you have the wrong requirement
  2. I need to undergo Gun Safety and Responsible Gun Ownership seminar and I have found a gun club where I can do this.  To me, this will make or break my intent to go through gun ownership as my questions can be answered here.  I'm looking forward to doing this.
  3. Online application of PNP and NBI Clearances - meaning I will not have to spend a whole day for these.
  4. Neuro-Psychiatric and Drug Tests are done in Crame and the results will be uploaded in the FEO account - this further lessens the waiting time as I just have to do the tests and leave immediately to do other things
  5. The rest of the requirements should be easy as these are standard identification and proof of income.  These two are needed so PNP knows where the gun will be kept and if the applicant has the capacity to maintain the firearm.  This varies depending on the status of the applicant, so check out the full details here.
  6. After all the requirements are done, that is the time that I'll schedule appearance to FEO in Crame to submit all the hard copies of requirements.  LTOPF will be released that day.
  7. As for the costs, as of writing these are what I found that fit my classification, so this will vary per individual.  I also may have missed some fees and requirements, I'll be working on this continuously.  Best to visit this site for more information.
The LTOPF is just one of the prerequisites in owning a gun.  There are still the Firearm (FA) Registration and the Permit to Carry Firearms Out of Residence (PTCFOR) that you'll go through once you have a gun.  And these I think are best answered by gun stores and gun community.  But before a gun store talks to you, I would imagine that with so many people who "like" to have a gun but are too timid to go through the licensing process, gun stores will most likely entertain you better if you have an LTOPF.  I'm not sure as I haven't talked with any gun stores yet, but I came from the service industry and I know how to value their time in talking to people who are inclined and in this case qualified to buy.  We'll get through these as we first go through with the LTOPF.

So what's keeping me from getting the LTOPF?  Aside from the ECQ so I really can't do anything, these are my current inhibitions:
  1. Once I dive into this, I have to do the LTOPF process every two years!  its not really a money issue, but more of a time and effort issue.  
  2. So I dove in and already bought a gun.  In my limited knowledge as of now, I can only get a Permit to Transport (PTT) from the FEO for P200, valid for only 1 day to transfer the gun to the range and back.  Getting a PTT is again, as you guessed it, will take time and effort to physically travel to get it.
  3. So I get PTCFOR for P6,200 so I don't need to get a temporary permit, but the application for one is much stricter and with a somewhat similar requirement as the LTOPF with the NBI Clearance, Neuro-Psychiatric and Drug test so again - time and effort.
  4. I already have a PTCFOR, but its validity is for ONE YEAR, and I have to repeat the process and again, time and effort.
I understand that gun ownership is a privilege and not a right.  And I do get that stricter application requirement is needed to establish the qualified people to be allowed to own a gun.  But with today's technology, there are a lot of ways to improve the process to make the process more efficient to both parties.  

I also understand that gun ownership is a serious matter.  That is why I'm weighing in on this heavily.  I want to be 100% sure before I make the jump.  And one way to decide on this is to ask gun owners about it, which is what I'll be doing in the next days.

Did you go through the same concerns as me?  Let me know what made you go for it, I'll be most grateful to get first-hand info.  Cheers!

So far the closest to the real one that I have held - an Airsoft GBB